Chinese Bible Translation
Andy Cheung has just posted an interesting piece on why older versions of the Chinese BIble are preferred over new translations. There are some interesting ideas and comparisons with English, though I don’t hold entirely to his reccomendations for English translations.
1) an unwillingness to change from what they’re “used to”
2) an ignorance of the existence of better versions
3) a feeling that old-fashioned language is somehow more holy (must have Chinese equivalents of thee and thou)
4) a sentiment that the choice of version is not very important (but we must get the latest worship CD!)
5) a desire to use the most popular text among fellow believers (read more)