While these are not as key as the Biblical issues in the previous post, they do shape our strategy.
In the UK mission world, we are living in a rather paradoxical situation; the British Church is ageing and shrinking but, despite this, the number of denominations and mission agencies is increasing. Some implications of this are:
- Our current resources are limited
- We have to be wise and strategic in our use of the resources we do have.
- This means considering the most effective use of our resources.
- But we must also prayerfully seek to be sensitive to where God wants us to use our resources. Obedience to God, not effectiveness, is the most important value.
- In the future, we are likely to face a significant decrease in our available resources.
- We may need to manage a process of decline.
- We need to actively pursue partnerships with like-minded organisations in the short to medium-term.
It would be easy to see this as a counsel of despair; however, I believe that this situation provides a wonderful opportunity for us to reflect on our priorities and the best way forward for the future.
The final post in this series is now online.