Churches and Agencies: A Video
Those who have any form of responsibility for world mission, be that in an agency or a church, need to set aside eighteen minutes to watch this video.
Some random thoughts:
- Clearly the discussion reflects the US context, which is very different to the one we have in the UK. However, the underlying issues are more or less the same.
- This would be a great resource for a Church mission support group; they could watch the video together and then use it as a basis for discussion.
- All of the speakers seem to equate mission with sending Western missionaries; there are many ways that Churches can be involved beyond this old paradigm.
- There is a distinct lack of clarity about the nature and mandate of the local church among the speakers.
- Can we please lose the term ‘member care’? It is meaningless outside of the small mission world; I thought we were supposed to be in the business of clearly communicating outside of our boundaries!
- Are there no women in mission and church leadership in the US?
- I love the caricature of agency attitudes to churches as “pray, pay and get out of the way”.